Trip to Yogyakarta

30 Oct


On the third day of DSD conference I was assigned, along with the other photographer, to escort the 4 foreign speakers from their hotel to the Eijkman Institute.  All this job entailed was me having to get to the Eijkman a bit early and wait for the driver to pick us up.  When the driver arrived, Dr. Safarina(PI at the Eijkman) walked by and told us that there are actually 5 speakers and I could not.  So my fellow photographer went and I decided to get breakfast at the hospital coffee shop, Oh La La; its way over priced but the convenience of it trumps the price.  While I was having breakfast, Dr. Safarina showed up.  She felt bad that I arrived at the Eijkman so early and didn’t get to go.  To make up for it she wanted to buy me breakfast but was a little late for that.  Instead she invited me to attend the Princess of the Javanese Sultanate wedding the coming weekend.  I was completely surprised by the invitation but quickly accepted and before I knew it I was on a train to Yogyakarta to attend the royal wedding.

I forgot to mention, Dr. Safarina is married to one of the Brothers of the Sultan.  Because she is family she can invite guests. She usually invites Dr. Herawatti to the weddings but she was going to be away that weekend and because she felt sympathetic for my lack of travels decided to invite me.

The was my first train ride in Indonesia.  It was very nice, I finally had time to enjoy my books and enjoy the countryside.  Here are some pictures of the train/ train station and a link to the video of some of the scenery.

View from Gambir Train Station in Jakarta

Waiting for the train

In the train

Here is the link for the video;

After 9 hours I finally arrived in Yogyakarta.

Arrived in Yogyakarta


After an over priced taxi ride from the train station, I arrived at the Mutiara Hotel.  The Mutiara Hotel is one of the more luxurious hotels in Yogyakarta being that it’s owned by the royal family.  It has a pool and lots of ornate decorations to go along with the grand staircase and chandeliers.  It was a nice change from my hole-in-the-wall apartment in Jakarta; it had hot water, it was glorious.

That night I dined with the family and had delicious duck and was introduced to Dr, Safarinas immediate family and my ineptitude with names, I immediately forgot them all.  After dinner we went on a quick tour of the city and then went to bed.


I spent half of the day with Sasha, Dr. Safarinas daughter, batik shopping.  Batiks are the traditional formal wear worn by Indonesians.  It took much longer than expected but I finally found the batik I was going to wear to the wedding.  Later I found out that the batik is too short for me.  An XL is what I bought it fits well on my shoulders and the arm length is perfect but too short lengthwise. XXL are too big everywhere else but the length, just don’t have the right body proportions to be stylish in Indonesia 😦

Here is a video riding around on a Bacak( a three wheeled bicycle cart)

Sasha had some wedding rehearsal to attend so I had the afternoon to myself.  I ended up finding a batik painting gallery and spent the better part of the afternoon there.  When I arrived they immediately sat me down handed me a cup of jasmine tea and started to demonstrate how they make batik paintings.  It is a fairly simple process.  all it requires is dye, bee wax, canting and cloth(usually cotton or silk).  You first draw the design on both sides of the cloth (usually cotton or silk).  Next you apply melted beeswax using a canting on the design you do not want dyed with the first color, which is usually the lightest (yellow or blue).  After you have applied the wax dyed it, you remove the wax with boiling hot water and repeat the process until the darkest dye is used.  The results can be spectacular but unfortunately I do not have any pictures.  They wouldn’t let me take any.

After that I headed back to the room and read and went to bed.


I had the day to myself because the whole family was occupied with wedding rehearsals.  So, I did what I normally do when I have free time in a new place, I started to walk around.  This time I luckily did not get lost.  I started down Malioboro street, the main tourist drag in town, and a local university student came over and started to me.  He was a film major at the local art school and he liked to practice his english with foreign tourists.  He seemed likeable enough, so we started to explore the city.  It eventually turned into him giving me a brief tour of the city.  The most interesting part was the local market.  He is a short video of me walking around it.

My friend and I parted ways and I went back to the hotel to relax and finish reading Mountains Beyond Mountains.  Around 3pm Sasha finished her wedding obligations, so I went with her and some her friends to a traditional restaurant on the opposite side of Yogyakarta, a place where tourists don’t usually go.  The drive was enlightening to see where the locals shop and live.

Here  is a video of the Restaurant:

After eating there Sasha and I went back to the hotel.  Met up with the family and went to a steak house for dinner.  Eating steak is one of the very few occasions where you use a fork and knife to eat dinner.  The usual cutlery for a meal is a fork and spoon.  Where the fork is in a supporting role to the spoon.  Its main purpose is to hold food still while you tear it apart with the spoon or assist in putting more food onto the spoon.  I have become very impressed with the versatility of a spoon.

After dinner went back to the hotel and watched a bad movie and then fell asleep.

Tuesday -Wedding Day

At The Wedding

The wedding was between Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono X’s youngest daughter GKR Bendara of Yogyakarta Palace and KHP Yudanegara.  This ceremony is only held for the daughters of the Sultan and is exculsive to guests of the palace and family.  It was a wonderful experiece and extremely thankful and honored that I was aloud to partake in the wedding. My words won’t suffice so  here are pictures and video from the wedding.

Seating area

Seating area full of guests


THe Awesome Ceiling

Me next to Dr. Safarina with family and friends

Me in my fancy batik

Me in my fancy Batik

Newly weds and family

Royal Family

They can finally relax

Here is a video of the wedding party walking back after the ceremony was complete.  Where I was seated I was not able to see the ceremony.  This is the best I could do.

After the Wedding

After the wedding the newly weds head back to the palace and prepare their cariages for a trip around Yogyakarta.  Here is a video of the procession.

A picture of the crowd.  Quite enormous.

Yup, taller than everybody.

After the wedding parade and the reception.  I again was free to do whatever so,  I walked around the town again.  I went to a massage parlor and got a massage, it was great.  and afterwards I walked somemore and eventually got myself lost.  Instead of figuring out how lost I really was, I just used a Bacak to get me back to the hotel.

All in all it was a great trip.

Leave a comment

Posted by on October 30, 2011 in Uncategorized


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: